There are only 5 days left until the release of Marvel’s Spider-Man 2 from Insomniac Games / Sony Interactive Entertainment and soon we will see the first game reviews. Meanwhile, Insomniac Games has presented a new release trailer for the game, and specialized publications are making forecasts for the sequel’s sales.
For example, Forbes believes that Marvel’s Spider-Man 2 will be Sony’s biggest release for current-gen consoles. And not only as of now, but even before the release of the PlayStation 6.
This confidence is based on the sales results of the previous games in the series on PlayStation 4. The first Marvel’s Spider-Man sold a total of 20 million copies, or 33 million if we count the separate spinoff/add-on Marvel’s Spider-Man: Miles Morales. The closest competitor, God of War, sold 19.5 million copies.
In general, the top 10 releases on PlayStation 4 look like this (you can be happy for The Witcher 3, for example):
1. Marvel’s Spider-Man – 20 million (33 million with Miles Morales)
2. God of War – 19.5 million
3. Uncharted 4 – 16 million
4. The Witcher 3 – 10.8 million
5. The Last of Us Part II – 10 million
6. Horizon Zero Dawn – 10 million
7. The Last of Us Remastered – 10 million
8. Ghost of Tsushima – 9.7 million
9. Star Wars Battlefront – 8.42 million
10. Gran Turismo Sport – 8 million
So Forbes’ expectations have a good reason. But… the next generation of consoles is expected no earlier than 2027-28, so a lot can still happen.
As a reminder, Marvel’s Spider-Man 2 is coming exclusively to PlayStation 5 on October 20, 2023. The game costs 2,299 UAH. Most likely, as with many of Sony’s latest releases, PC gamers will see the game in a year or two.